Learning and Remembering

 NYC is in the news this week for a couple things. Mostly, it is the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. For my generation, there are two shocking happenings for which we ask each other, "where were you when.....?" We ask that about the day JFK was shot and now we ask that about the 9/11 attacks.


I was in mid air, flying from Detroit to Atlanta. When we landed in Atlanta, the pilot came on the PA and told us to go find a monitor. The state we found our whole country in when we deplaned was shocking, especially considering it had only been 2 hours since we got into the plane. It does not take long and it does not take many people to change the world. If only we all used this power for good.


The other thing happening in NYC this week is Fashion Week. I do not have understanding of why Fashion Week is so important. Could someone enlighten me please? I have been following some of the multitudinous reports from Fashion Week in the last couple days. Fashion seems like another word for "ridiculous garments that are in no way wearable or garments that nobody in her right mind would wear." Really. Do these garments get produced and worn?


But, I follow a little bit because trends in fashion do play into other kinds of trends that I follow. In some kind of really indirect way.


So, when I saw this bracelet, I got a good laugh. Some high fashion designer went to Michaels and bought a couple packages of wiggle eyes and embedded them in resin. Come on, it's funny.

Take your Vitamin C!

4 creative thoughts:

Anonymous { September 12, 2011 at 7:30 AM }
I remember seeing a documentary about Anna Wintour and fashion (Vogue Magazine) and thinking two things: (1) Who cares? and (2) These people take themselves way to serious.

-Pepita
Amber Dawn Inventive Soul { September 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM }
LOL- I LOVE THAT DESIGN!
I just started as the Bead Design instructor at that art store; I see a lot of designers coming in for supplies to dress the windows on 5th Ave & in the fashion district showrooms. Very creative people!
As for fashion week, it sure creates a buzz in the same way that the U.S. Open does for Tennis!
Kim { September 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM }
Pepita, I saw that same documentary and I remember thinking that for people in the fashion industry, they sure dressed sloppily. It was not like in the movie.
Kim { September 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM }
Amber, get designing with wiggle eyes, girl!

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitors

Contact Me:

kballor@aol.com